Charles Dickens famously mused, ‘What higher reward than the love of a cat?’
We at American Humane totally agree. We based Undertake-A-Cat Month® 47 years in the past to encourage folks to undertake cats from animal shelters, the place there may be the best want. We have fun it every June – a month that additionally marks the peak of “kitten season,” when giant litters of kittens are born and sometimes find yourself in animal shelters.
All cats deserve loving houses and pet mother and father who will assure they get the absolute best care. By bringing residence a brand new kitten and/or senior cat, you generally is a hero AND discover your new, purrrfect finest good friend.
The favored annual marketing campaign is an element of a bigger effort by American Humane to assist these stunning animals and concentrate on the distinctive challenges and points they face. Though cats have usually been known as America’s “Most In style Pet,” with an estimated 94 million dwelling in 47 million U.S. households, they obtain much less veterinary care, have much less analysis devoted to their distinctive well being/behavioral points, usually tend to be feral, and usually tend to be euthanized in shelters than canine.
Along with elevating consciousness of the significance of adopting a shelter cat right now, we can even be sharing Undertake-A-Cat Month® ideas and content material on our web site and throughout our social media platforms all through the month to make sure potential pet households are ready for the joyful – and typically complicated – moments of adopting a cat.
TOP 10 CHECKLIST FOR ADOPTING A CAT
- In the event you’re desirous about adopting a cat, take into account taking residence two. Cats require train, psychological stimulation and social interplay. Two cats can present this for one another.
- Discover a cat whose character meshes with yours. Simply as we every have our personal character, so do cats. Usually, cats with lengthy hair and spherical heads and our bodies are extra easygoing than lean cats with slender heads and brief hair, who’re usually extra lively. Adoption counselors can supply recommendation that will help you match the person cat’s character with your individual.
- Select a veterinarian forward of time and schedule a go to inside the first few days following the adoption. You’ll wish to take any medical information you obtained from the adoption middle in your first go to. Resulting from their immaturity, kittens particularly ought to accompany you to make the appointment – even earlier than the examination itself – so workers can pet the cat and the animal can have a constructive affiliation with the veterinarian’s workplace.
- Ensure that everybody in the home is ready to have a cat earlier than your new pet comes residence. Visiting the shelter, rescue group or animal management facility must be a household affair. When adopting a brand new cat with current pets at residence, talk about with the adoption facility how you can make a correct introduction.
- Funds for the short- and long-term prices of a cat. Perceive any pet is a accountability and that there’s a value related to it. A cat adopted from a shelter is a discount; many services can have already offered spaying or neutering, preliminary vaccines, and a microchip for everlasting identification. Plus, shelters and rescue teams are there to supply steerage and help as you acclimate your new member of the family.
- Replenish on provides earlier than the cat arrives. Be ready so your new cat can begin feeling at residence straight away. Your cat will want a litter field, a good-quality cat litter, meals and water bowls, meals, scratching posts, secure and stimulating toys, a soft mattress, a brush for grooming, a toothbrush and nail clippers.
- Cat-proof your own home. A brand new cat will rapidly educate you to not go away issues mendacity out. Meals left on the kitchen counter will serve to show your new good friend to leap on counters for a attainable lunch. Eliminate free gadgets your cat may chew on, watch to make sure the kitten isn’t chewing on electrical cords, and choose up random gadgets like paper clips (which kittens could swallow).
- Go slowly when introducing your cat to new family and friends. It may well take a number of weeks for a cat to loosen up in a brand new atmosphere. It’s a terrific concept to maintain the brand new addition secluded in a single room (with a litter field, meals and water, toys and the cat service omitted and open with bedding inside) till the cat is used to the brand new environment; that is significantly vital when you’ve got different pets. In the event you’ve adopted a kitten, socialization is essential. However bear in mind – take it gradual.
- Remember to embrace your new pet in your loved ones’s emergency plan. You most likely have a plan in place for getting your loved ones to security in case of an emergency. Modify this plan to incorporate your pets. Add telephone numbers to your veterinarian and closest 24-hour animal hospital to your “in-case-of-emergency” name checklist and remember to have a several-day provide of your pet’s meals and medicines available.
- In the event you’re contemplating giving a cat as a present, be sure that the recipient is an lively participant within the adoption course of. Although well-meaning, the shock kitty reward doesn’t enable for a “get-to know-one-another” interval. Keep in mind, adopting a cat isn’t like buying a family equipment or a bit of knickknack – this can be a actual dwelling, respiration, and emotional being.
What are you ready for? Journey the wave and undertake a superb feline – or two – this Undertake-A-Cat Month®!