Learn to make a thick do-it-yourself Oreo cookie crust with this simple recipe and my perfected shaping strategies. You want simply 2 elements, and it tastes so good, I assure you’ll by no means return to store-bought Oreo crust once more. Strive it with my cookies & cream pie!
At this time we’re taking a deep dive into the darkish shallows of an Oreo pie crust. This chocolate cookie crust is the bottom of so many fantastic desserts, like this cookies and cream pie, sky-high chocolate mousse pie, and these white chocolate raspberry cheesecake bars.
Can’t I Simply Purchase a Pre-Made Oreo Crust?
After all you could possibly. However this do-it-yourself Oreo crust is very easy to make and tastes roughly 1,200x higher. And it’s a lot thicker too. It weighs over 11 ounces, vs. the packaged crust, which is simply 6 ounces. That’s a big distinction!
You Want Solely 2 Components
- Oreo Cookies: You want about 22 normal Oreos. The common type, not Double-Stuf. Double-Stuf are tasty to eat, however don’t work effectively for an Oreo crust; the additional cream filling makes the crust prove too tender and greasy.
- Butter: 5 Tablespoons, or 72g, of melted butter binds the tiny crumbs collectively, and makes this crust style unbelievably scrumptious.
Can I Use Different Taste Oreos? Oreos are available so many alternative flavors. For finest outcomes, stick to common Oreos, and I do know peanut butter Oreos or mint Oreos work too. I maintain testing a Golden Oreo crust, and it at all times bakes into mush. You want much more cookies if making a Golden Oreo crust.
Oreo Cookie Math
Oreos are available many alternative dimension packages, containing totally different numbers of cookies, which additionally varies relying on the place you’re on the planet. And—maybe simply to mess with us—sometimes producers change the scale of the cookies themselves or the variety of cookies you get in a bundle… which implies my workforce and I’ve to undergo all my recipes that use Oreos and replace them. (In case you’re questioning why your printed recipe could now not match the recipe on the web site.)
I used my trusty meals scale to do some Oreo math for you (which is, undoubtedly, the tastiest sort of math). In line with the usual Oreo bundle diet label, a serving dimension of three cookies = 34g.
Subsequently, 1 Oreo = 11.333333333333g… oh boy.
Measuring the crumbs may also trigger confusion as a result of how finely you grind the crumbs makes a distinction. And in case you spoon and stage the crumbs right into a measuring cup, like we do with flour, it’s quite a bit totally different than in case you pack the crumbs into the cup, like we do when measuring brown sugar.
***Use the packed-into-the-cup methodology for measuring Oreo crumbs for a crust.***
Right here’s what my workforce and I made up my mind in our lab (aka my messy kitchen counter):
- If a recipe requires 1 cup Oreo crumbs, you want 11 standard-size Oreos to yield 1 cup, or about 125g, of crumbs (packed).
- For a typical Oreo pie crust, you want 2 cups of Oreo crumbs (packed), so grind up 22 Oreos, which ought to yield about 2 cups crumbs (250g).
- If a recipe requires chopped Oreos (not crumbs), like this cookies and cream sheet cake, use 8 Oreos for 1 cup chopped (90g).
How one can Make an Oreo Cookie Crust
Grind 22 entire Oreo cookies (together with the cream filling) into crumbs. You should use a meals processor or blender for this, however in case you don’t have one, simply put them in a zipped-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Understand that the finer the crumb, the higher the crust will maintain its form.
It’s best to get about 2 cups of crumbs (packed), or about 250g. Stir within the melted butter, after which press the combination tightly right into a pie dish. See under for some shaping suggestions.
The Oreo crumb crust will really feel extra moist than a graham cracker crust; that’s anticipated, due to the cream filling.
Oreo Cookie Crust Shaping Method
Pack the crust tightly: Utilizing your fingers, press the underside and across the sides with medium-firm stress till the crumbs aren’t transferring round anymore—you don’t need any free crumbs. You should use a small flat-bottomed measuring cup to assist easy out the floor in case you like.
Make a flat-top edge: I exploit my thumb on one hand and 4 fingers on my different hand to go across the prime and sides.
And, lastly, use a spoon to spherical the within of an Oreo pie crust: This sounds a bit odd, however you don’t desire a proper angle on the backside edges the place the edges and the underside meet. As an alternative, you need it somewhat bit rounded so it stays linked once you slice into it—so the facet crust doesn’t instantly separate from the underside crust. Slide the again of a spoon across the within the crust the place the edges and backside meet, to get that barely rounded form.
Crust Feels Too Greasy
If you’re having hassle getting the crust to return collectively when urgent it into your pie dish or pan, and it’s feeling too moist and sticking to your fingers greater than to the dish, it’s useful so as to add extra crumbs. Switch the combination again to the blending bowl, grind up 2 extra Oreo cookies, stir them in, after which attempt once more.
FAQ: What Measurement Pan Does This Oreo Crust Match?
This recipe makes sufficient for an 8-inch, 9-inch, or 10-inch pie dish, spherical cake pan, springform pan, or sq. pan. It’s not sufficient for a 9×13-inch baking pan. Should you’re making a 9×13-inch dessert, resembling these chocolate peanut butter cheesecake bars, I like to recommend utilizing 30 Oreos (340g) + 8 Tablespoons (1/2 cup, or 115g) butter.
FAQ: Do I Should Pre-Bake This Oreo Crust?
Except your filling/topping recipe specifies in any other case, you need to bake the Oreo crust. Cheesecake and baked pies often instruct you to pre-bake the crust, which is round 8–10 minutes earlier than including your filling. (Comply with your filling’s recipe directions.)
Aspect notice: I don’t pre-bake the crust for my caramel brownie turtle pie. The filling is so heavy that it actually helps set the crust; pre-baking is pointless.
Some frozen pie/dessert recipes could instruct you to freeze the crust as an alternative of baking it, like this peanut butter ice cream pie. And you’ll see I scaled up the recipe for the 9×13-inch dimension, and froze the crust, for this ice cream cake.
FAQ: Do I Bake This Oreo Crust for a No-Bake Filling?
Should you’re utilizing this crust for a no-bake dessert, resembling this cookies & cream pie, bake it for 10–12 minutes. You often want to attend for the crust to chill earlier than including a no-bake filling.
You’ll be able to completely use this Oreo crust with a lot of my no-bake pie fillings, resembling banana cream pie, coconut cream pie, and French silk pie (pictured under). Merely skip all of the common pie crust steps in these recipes, use the Oreo crust recipe under, bake it for 10–12 minutes, cool fully, after which add the filling!
Extra Oreo Crust FAQs
FAQ: Can I Use Generic/Different Manufacturers of Chocolate Sandwich Cookies As an alternative of Oreos? You’ll be able to, however needless to say different manufacturers might not be the identical dimension/weight, and that would change the quantity of crumbs you get. For this crust you want 2 (packed) cups, or 250g, of cookie crumbs, so that could be roughly than 22 cookies in case you’re utilizing one other model.
FAQ: Can I Make a Gluten-Free Oreo Crust? I haven’t examined a gluten-free model of this crust with gluten-free Oreos, however in case you attempt it, go away a touch upon the put up letting us know the way it seems!
FAQ: What if I Don’t Have a Meals Processor? Should you don’t have a meals processor or blender, place the Oreo cookies in a big zipped-top bag and crush with a rolling pin. Understand that the finer the crumb, the higher the crust will maintain its form, so go forward and take your frustrations out on these cookies!
Learn to make a thick Oreo cookie crust with solely 2 elements.
- Make the crust: In a meals processor or blender, pulse 22 Oreos (together with the cream filling) right into a high-quality crumb. You can too place them in a zip-top bag and crush them into high-quality crumbs with somewhat arm muscle and a rolling pin. It’s best to have about 2 cups (packed) crumbs, or 250g. Pour crumbs into a big bowl.
- Add the melted butter and stir to mix. The combination might be thick and fairly moist. Attempt to smash/break up any giant chunks.
- Pour the combination into an ungreased 8-inch, 9-inch, or 10-inch pie dish, cake pan, springform pan, or sq. pan. With medium stress utilizing your hand, pat the crumbs down into the underside and up the edges to make a compact, thick crust. If the combination appears actually moist and isn’t forming a pleasant crust, grind up 2 extra Oreos and blend these crumbs in. Tip: You should use a small flat-bottomed measuring cup to assist press down the underside crust and easy out the floor, however don’t pack down too arduous. If making a pie, run a spoon across the backside “nook” the place the sting and backside meet to assist make a rounded crust—this helps stop the crust from falling aside once you lower slices.
- For a baked dessert, pre-bake this crust per your filling recipe instructions. I often pre-bake for 8–10 minutes at 350°F (177°C). For a no-bake filling resembling cookies & cream pie, bake for 10–12 minutes at 350°F (177°C). Cool the crust fully earlier than utilizing, until your no-bake filling recipe instructs in any other case.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: It’s freezer pleasant! Freeze the ready crust in your pan for as much as 3 months. Thaw earlier than utilizing in your recipe. For shorter storage, maintain the ready crust within the fridge for as much as 3 days earlier than utilizing in your recipe.
- Different Kinds of Oreos: Don’t use Double-Stuf Oreos. Golden Oreos aren’t superb both, as a result of the combination turns into mush. It’s finest to stay with common Oreos, or you should use peanut butter- or mint-flavor Oreos.
- Different Manufacturers of Chocolate Sandwich Cookies: You should use generic/different manufacturers. Understand that different manufacturers of chocolate sandwich cookies might not be the identical dimension/weight, and that would change the quantity of crumbs you get. For this crust you want 2 (packed) cups, or 250g, of cookie crumbs, so that could be roughly than 22 cookies in case you’re utilizing one other model.
- What Measurement Pan Does This Crust Match? Use an 8-inch, 9-inch, or 10-inch pie dish, cake pan, springform pan, or sq. pan for this recipe. It’s not sufficient for a 9×13-inch pan. Should you’re making a 9×13-inch dessert, resembling these chocolate peanut butter cheesecake bars, I like to recommend utilizing 30 Oreos (340g) + 8 Tablespoons (1/2 cup, or 115g) butter.
Key phrases: Oreo cookie crust
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail sequence is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.