A pie for chocolate lovers! This caramel turtle brownie pie combines a wealthy fudge brownie filling with caramel and pecans, set atop an Oreo cookie crust. A small slice is delightfully decadent, particularly when served just a little heat and topped with whipped cream and/or a scoop of ice cream!
Have you ever ever made caramel turtle candies? I’ve a recipe for them in my guide Sally’s Sweet Habit. They’re made with 3 key parts: caramel, chocolate, and pecans. At this time we’re taking the identical flavors and serving them as a turtle brownie pie on a mattress of crushed Oreo cookies.
Prepare for this.
Inform Me About This Caramel Turtle Brownie Pie
- Texture: This pie is mega-rich. Every chunk delivers a chewy caramel fudge brownie, studded with pecans and chocolate chips, on a crisp, buttery Oreo cookie crumb crust.
- Taste: Chocolate. Caramel. Pecans. Oreos. Any questions?
- Ease: Whereas there’s just a few separate elements to this pie, and there’s nothing tough about any of them. The two-ingredient Oreo pie crust is fast and simple, and there’s no pre-baking required. The brownie batter could be made in 1 bowl and whisked by hand. Make the brown sugar caramel sauce on the range whereas the pie is within the oven. It’s a less-fussy method to make do-it-yourself caramel, and—although you should use one if desired—there’s no sweet thermometer wanted. It’s mainly the identical scrumptious sauce we use on this pecan pie cheesecake!
The most effective half? Not solely will you utilize do-it-yourself caramel sauce for topping, you’ll prick the nice and cozy pie throughout with a fork and unfold the caramel proper on prime so it gloriously seeps down into the pie. YES!
Begin With an Oreo Crust
You want simply 2 components for this simple Oreo pie crust:
- Oreos (22 standard-size entire Oreo cookies)
- Butter (5 Tablespoons/72g, melted)
Grind the Oreos into crumbs, stir within the melted butter, and press right into a 9-inch pie dish. There’s NO pre-baking required for this crust.
FAQ: Can I Use Common Pie Crust? In case you have some additional pie crust dough in your fridge or freezer from making a 1-crust pie recipe like this pumpkin pie or apple crumble pie, you’ll be able to actually use it for this caramel turtle brownie pie! You’ll have to par-bake the pie crust. Observe the par-baking steps (steps 1–5) in my common brownie pie recipe.
Right here’s Every thing You Want After Making the Crust:
You’ll be able to put together the caramel sauce forward of time or make it whereas the brownie pie bakes, which is what I often do. See extra in regards to the caramel sauce beneath.
Make the Brownie Pie Filling
Tip: Don’t make brownie batter prematurely. As a result of butter is stable at room temperature and since cocoa powder and flour take in liquid, this brownie batter will thicken the longer it sits. Combine it up instantly earlier than spreading into the crust.
Right here’s every thing you want for the pie filling:
- Butter & Oil: Melted butter is the bottom of this brownie pie filling. I all the time love how vegetable oil retains chocolate cake smooth and moist, so I added some right here.
- Granulated Sugar: Whisking granulated sugar into heat butter helps the sugar migrate to the highest of the batter because the pie bakes, creating that shiny, crackly prime—brownies’ signature!
- Eggs: Eggs are the primary performer on this recipe by including construction and texture. You want 3 eggs complete: 2 entire eggs + 1 egg yolk. An additional egg yolk makes for a wealthy and chewy texture, simply because it does in these chewy chocolate chip cookies.
- Vanilla Extract: Taste enhancer #1.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: All the chocolate taste comes from cocoa powder, so that you don’t want baking chocolate like on this brownies recipe. You should utilize pure or dutch-process.
- Flour: All-purpose flour provides construction.
- Salt: Taste enhancer #2.
- Add-ins: Chopped pecans and chocolate chips add great texture to the chewy brownie filling.
Make the Simple Caramel Sauce
Whereas the brownie pie bakes, make the caramel sauce on the range. You want butter, brown sugar (I like to recommend darkish), heavy cream, salt, and a contact of corn syrup.
FAQ: Can I pass over the corn syrup? For those who don’t need to use corn syrup, you’ll be able to depart it out, however the texture of the caramel sauce could also be grainy. The corn syrup serves to maintain the sauce clean and shiny. You’ll be able to attempt utilizing maple syrup, golden syrup, or honey as a substitute, however the taste and texture could fluctuate.
In case you have some additional salted caramel leftover from making a caramel apple cheesecake pie, you’ll be able to heat that up and use it as a substitute. I needed to attempt one thing just a little completely different for this pie. At this time’s caramel is just like the topping used on this pecan pie cheesecake; I liked it and needed to utilize it once more!
And now one of the best half… prick the nice and cozy brownie pie throughout with a fork and unfold a few of the heat caramel sauce everywhere in the prime. Like a “poke cake” recipe of types, however with brownies and caramel:
Topping This Caramel Turtle Brownie Pie
The toppings are the pie’s primary equipment.
Let the caramel-infused brownie pie cool for about 1 hour earlier than topping and serving. It could nonetheless be barely heat. High with extra pecans, extra of the do-it-yourself caramel sauce, some melted chocolate (non-compulsory), and a pie’s finest pal: whipped cream. Style testers additionally liked the marginally heat pie with vanilla ice cream. For those who’re going to indulge, you may as effectively go for the gold.
This undeniably indulgent caramel turtle brownie pie combines a simple Oreo cookie crust, fudge brownie filling, pecans, do-it-yourself caramel, plus non-compulsory chocolate drizzle and whipped cream. Remember to make the brownie batter instantly earlier than spreading into the crust.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Make the crust: In a meals processor or blender, pulse 22 Oreos (together with the cream filling) right into a high-quality crumb. It is best to have about 2 cups (packed) of crumbs, or 250g. Stir the Oreo crumbs and melted butter collectively. Press tightly into the underside and up the perimeters of a 9-inch pie dish.
- Make the brownie filling: Slice the butter into Tablespoon-size items and soften within the microwave in a big heatproof bowl or in a small saucepan on the range. (Switch melted butter to a big bowl if utilizing the range.) Whisk the oil and granulated sugar into the melted butter. Let it sit for 3–5 minutes to barely cool. Whisk in 2 entire eggs, 1 egg yolk, and vanilla extract till mixed. Add the cocoa powder, flour, and salt and whisk till mixed. Batter might be thick. Fold within the chopped pecans and chocolate chips. Batter will proceed to thicken the longer it sits, so instantly spoon and unfold evenly into crust.
- Bake for half-hour, after which tent with foil and bake for an additional 8–10 minutes. (Err on the facet of under-baking as a result of the brownie filling will set because it cools.)
- In the meantime, make the caramel sauce: Warmth the butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, salt, and corn syrup collectively in a medium saucepan over medium warmth. With a spatula or whisk, stir sometimes till butter has melted and combination is mixed. Carry to a simmer. As soon as simmering, cease stirring and permit to simmer/boil for 1–2 minutes. Take away from warmth, after which let cool till the pie is finished baking. The sauce will thicken because it cools. (If you wish to be exact, the sauce is finished when it reaches 215°F (102°C) when utilizing a sweet thermometer.)
- Add caramel and pecans on prime: Take away pie from the oven. Let it sit for five minutes to barely cool. Then, utilizing a fork, prick holes everywhere in the floor of the pie. Drizzle and unfold about 1/4 cup heat caramel sauce over the pie. (Reserve the remainder for extra topping/serving.) A few of the caramel will seep into the pie by way of the holes. Put aside for 1 hour to barely cool earlier than including toppings, or cool fully.
- Toppings: Spoon pecans on prime of caramel-infused pie. If desired, pipe or spoon whipped cream on prime or across the edges. I used a Wilton 1M piping tip on the pictured pie. Soften the chocolate in a double boiler or use the microwave. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring after every till fully melted. Drizzle melted chocolate and extra of the caramel sauce on prime. (You’ll have some caramel leftover.) Slice and serve with non-compulsory vanilla ice cream.
- Cowl and retailer leftover pie at room temperature for as much as 2 days or within the fridge for as much as 4–5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You’ll be able to put together, cowl, and refrigerate the caramel sauce as much as 2 weeks prematurely. The caramel thickens and units because it cools. To make it skinny sufficient for spreading/drizzling, reheat within the microwave till liquid once more. You may make the pie 1–2 days earlier than serving and I like to recommend serving it barely heat. If making forward, put together by way of step 6, after which retailer lined at room temperature for 1–2 days. To reheat the entire caramel-infused pie, cowl with aluminum foil and heat it in a 300°F (149°C) oven for quarter-hour. Then proceed with step 7. You can too freeze the baked and cooled pie for as much as 3 months, however I like to recommend freezing earlier than poking holes within the prime and protecting in caramel sauce. Thaw within the fridge, after which cowl with aluminum foil and heat it in a 300°F (149°C) oven for 20 minutes or till heat. Then prick holes/prime with 1/4 cup caramel and proceed with the recipe above.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Meals Processor | Glass Pie Dish | Egg Separator | Sweet Thermometer (not required, however useful) | Disposable Piping Luggage or Reusable Piping Luggage | Wilton 1M Piping Tip
- Pie Crust: If most well-liked, you should use a graham cracker crust as a substitute of an Oreo crust. For those who’d like to make use of a standard pie crust, you’ll have to par-bake it. Observe the par-baking steps (steps 1–5) in my common brownie pie recipe.
- Oreos: Use common Oreos, not Double Stuf.
- Can I Use Brownie Combine? Sure. For ease, you should use a ready boxed brownie combine to fill the unbaked Oreo cookie crust. Similar actual baking and topping directions.
- Skip the Nuts: Whereas pecans are all the time included in caramel turtle candies, be at liberty to depart them out of this pie, or substitute walnuts. For those who omit the nuts, improve the quantity of chocolate chips within the brownie batter to 1 cup (180g).
- Corn Syrup: You’ll be able to substitute maple syrup, golden syrup, or honey for the corn syrup within the caramel sauce, however the texture could fluctuate. You might additionally use this salted caramel sauce as a substitute.
Key phrases: caramel turtle brownie pie
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail sequence is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.