You’re pondering of adopting a cat. You’ve accomplished the Meet Your Match® quiz at your native animal centre to seek out your excellent match and now you’ve bought your eye on a particular feline you’d wish to undertake. Earlier than you deliver Fluffy residence, be sure to’re prepared!
Cats could be mysterious however understanding methods to correctly look after one shouldn’t be. Right here’s what you should do to assist your cat take pleasure in a easy transition into its new life.
Earlier than you undertake – 9 issues to know
- Discover a close by veterinary clinic the place you’ll be able to take your cat for routine care and well being examinations. Be aware of the clinic’s hours and discover an emergency clinic for after-hours sicknesses or accidents.
- Place a litter field in a quiet, simply accessible spot that additionally affords privateness in your feline buddy. In the event you adopted a kitten lower than six months outdated, use solely non-clumping cat litter. Kittens are cute, however they’re additionally messy. Litter usually sticks to their fur and toes. That might result in digestive and intestinal issues in case your kitten ingests any litter whereas cleansing themselves.
- Put money into high quality stainless-steel or ceramic meals and water dishes. Cats want loads of contemporary water each day, so maintain your pet’s water dish filled with contemporary, clear water.
- Diet is essential to maintain your cat wholesome, so choosing a top quality cat or kitten meals is a should. Sometimes, kittens must be fed three to 4 small meals a day. Most grownup cats must be fed a few times each day. Speak to your veterinarian to find out how usually and the way a lot to feed your cat.
- Grooming instruments, similar to a brush or comb, are essential to assist maintain your cat’s coat wholesome.
- Cats love toys and actions that maintain them stimulated and lively. . If you are going to buy any toys that comprise yarn or string, make sure to supervise your cat at play. Ingestion of those supplies may cause critical, and generally deadly, intestinal injury.
- A scratching put up is important as clawing is a pure -and regular behaviour for cats. Select a scratching put up that’s tall sufficient that your cat can totally stretch out when scratching. Cats usually have a choice of what substrate they take pleasure in scratching, so it is very important discover out in case your cat likes carpet vs rope vs burlap as a scratching put up.
- In the event you plan on letting your cat go open air whereas supervised, get a breakaway collar, identification tag and a harness and leash. It’s essential to remember that there are various risks open air for cats. Indoors is a safer choice.
- Lastly, spay or neuter your pet! Spaying or neutering your pet may help scale back the variety of probably undesirable cats and canines that find yourself in shelters. All cats of applicable age are spayed or neutered at Ontario SPCA animal centres earlier than being adopted. In the event you didn’t undertake from the Ontario SPCA and your cat isn’t spayed or neutered, contact your veterinarian to debate this surgical procedure in your pet.
Proudly owning a cat is usually a rewarding expertise. We want you and your new feline buddy all the most effective as you get to know one another!